Prof Kirumira K. Edward
B.A.(Mak), MA(Exeter), PhD(Copenhagen/Harvard)Interest Areas
His interest is in population and reproductive health, with over 20 years of HIV&AIDS research and programming. Other areas include programme development, monitoring and impact evaluation.
Dates of Project: January 2012 – December 31, 2015 (Extended to December 31, 2017)
Source: Wellspring Advisors, USA
Title of Project: East Africa Social Sciences Translation (EAST) Collaborative
Role: Co-Principal Investigator with University of California at Berkeley
Dates of Project: November 2012 – November 2017
Title of Project: Development Innovation Lab (DIL)
Role: Co-Principal Research Network Partner – coordinated by the Center for Effective Global Action (CEGA) at the University of California at Berkeley
Dates of Project: January 2014 – December 31, 2018
Source: Norwegian Government (NORHED)
Title of Project: Water and Society (WaSo-Africa) – Institutional Capacity Building in Water Management and Climate Change Adaptation in the Nile Basin.
Role: Project Principal Investigator in collaboration with Addis Ababa University, University of Nairobi, Juba University, and in Norway: Telemark University College, University of Life Sciences and University of Bergen.
Dates of Project: September 2014 – December 31, 2016
Source: Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
Title of Project: Violence Against Children Survey: Retrospective Self-Reports from 13-24-Year-Old Males and Females in Uganda.
Role: In-Country Principal Investigator.
Dates of Project: January 2004 – December 2012
Source: Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Royal Norwegian Government & Norad
Title of Research Program: The Nile Basin Research Programme Phase 1 - Universities collaboration for integrated water resource management and improved welfare and sustainable development in the Nile Basin
Role: Africa Coordinator.
Dates of Project: Jan. 2005 – October 30, 2009
Source: Dutch Government (Ministry of Foreign Affairs)
Title of Project: AIDS Medicine in Resource-poor Settings: Learning from District Level Transformations in Health Culture and Care Arrangements in Uganda and South Africa
Role: Co-Investigator & Doctoral Students Supervisor (2 PhDs completed)
Dates of Project: July 1, 2005 – December 31, 2009
Source: Swedish Government through Sida/SAREC
Title of Project: Strategies for Poverty Eradication: Local Responses to Transformation for Sustainable Development in the Lake Victoria Region [Phase II]
Role: Coordinator, Principal Investigator and Doctoral Students Supervisor [2 PhDs completed]
Dates of Project: July 1, 2005 – December 31, 2009
Source: Norwegian Government
Title of Project: Good Governance and Gender Mainstreaming
Role: Coordinator & Principal Investigator
Dates of Project: April 2008 – December 30, 2014
Source: Norwegian Research Council
Title of Project: Influence of the Matrix on Species’ Richness in Ugandan Forest Fragments
Role: Makerere University Project Coordinator supporting (on Makerere side) five senior researchers, 1 Postdoc fellow, 2 PhD students, 4 Masters students
Dates of Project: January 1, 2010 – June 30, 2015
Source: Swedish Government through Sida
Title of Project: Strategies for Poverty Eradication: Local Responses to Transformation for Sustainable Development in the Lake Victoria Region [Phase III]
Role: Coordinator, Principal Investigator and Doctoral Students supervisor [2 PhD students]
- Olago, D., Kirumira E. et.al. 2007. Climatic, Socio-economic and Health Factors Affecting Human Vulnerability to Cholera in the
Lake Victoria Basin, East Africa. Ambio, Vol. 36 No. 1
- Katahoire, Anne R. and Edward K. Kirumira. 2008. The Impact of HIV and AIDS on Higher Education Institutions in
Uganda. Paris: International Institute for Educational Planning, UNESCO
- Kirumira, E.K. 2008. The Politics of Coordination and Management of the Multi-Sectoral Response to HIV/AIDS in the Context of Global Funding: Experiences from
Uganda. In: Follér, Maj-Lis and Thörn, Håkan (eds.) The Politics of AIDS: Globalisation, the State and Civil Society. London: Palgrave
- Atuyambe, L., F. Mirembe, N.M. Tumwesigye, A. Johansson, E.K. Kirumira and E. Faxelid. 2008. Adolescent and adult first time mothers' health seeking practices during pregnancy and early motherhood in Wakiso district, central Uganda. Reproductive Health. December, Vol. 5 No. 13.
- Larsson, P., E.K. Kirumira, A.L. Steigen and A. Miyingo-Kezimbira. 2009. Sharing Water: problems, conflicts and possible solutions – the case of Kampala. Bergen UiB Press
- Atuyambe, L., F. Mirembe, A. Johansson, E.K. Kirumira and E. Faxelid. 2009. Seeking safety and empathy: Adolescent health seeking behavior during pregnancy and early motherhood in central Uganda. Journal of Adolescence. Vol. 32, Issue 4. Pp. 781-796
- Kirumira, E.K. and Thorkild Tylleskär. 2011. PARTNERSHIPS FOR DEVELOPMENT – Longterm intercontinental university collaboration to meet global challenges: the example of Makerere University and the University of Bergen. IAU Horizons. Vol. 16 No.3
- Ephata E. Kaaya, Sarah B. Macfarlane, Charles A. Mkony, Eligius F. Lyamuya, Helen Loeser, Phyllis Freeman, Edward K. Kirumira, Kisali Pallangyo and Heile T. Debas. 2012. Educating enough competent health professionals: Advancing educational innovation at Muhimbili University of Health and Allied Sciences, Tanzania. PLoS Med 9(8): e1001284. doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001284.
- Mugeere, A.B., Atekyereza, P., Kirumira, E.K. and Hojer, S. 2015. Deaf identities in a multicultural setting: The Uganda context. African Journal of Disability. Vol. 4 No. 1