PhD and M.A Partial Fellowships from Anthropology and Sociology
Makerere University and the University of Turin in Italy have this year 2017 renewed their longstanding Cooperation Agreement. This re-establishes the importance and usefulness of instituting cultural, scientific and didactic relationships, in order to assert and to consolidate the ties of friendships between the two Institutions and between their countries. As part of that partnership, the present arrangement of cooperation is aimed at contributing to the development of teaching and scientific research in both institutions.
Through the College of Humanities and Social Sciences at Makerere University, the University of Turin, with support from the Erasmus+ Program of the European Commission, will support a partnership between the Department of Sociology and Anthropology at Makerere University and the Department of Culture, Politics and Society at University of Turin in Italy. The partnership seeks to establish didactic-scientific cooperation between the two departments. This initiative intends to train a new generation of high calibre scholars and researchers in the two countries through staff and students exchange.
- Two ten months and fifteen days fellowship for qualifying candidates to complete an ongoing study programme leading to the award of a PhD in Social Anthropology or in Sociology;
- Three seven months fulltime fellowships for qualifying candidates to complete an ongoing study programme leading to the award of an M.A. of Makerere University.
Preferably, the PhD fellowships will be awarded to 2 qualifying candidates who have completed fieldwork and in the writing stage of their theses while M.A fellowships will also be preferably awarded to 3candidates who have completed research and are at the final stages of their theses.
General Requirements for Applicants
The successful candidates should have excellent oral and written English communication skills. Although the programme is run in English, the candidates may opt to take a short course in Italian language to be able to adapt in the short stay.
Eligible candidates to the PhD/Master Fellowship should:
- Be a Ugandan national.
- Be a registered student of Makerere University
- Be a holder of First Class or Second Upper Class undergraduate degree in Humanities and Social Sciences from a recognised university.
- Preferably be at the writing stage after completing fieldwork
- Be fluent or show proof of fluency in English Language, since English Language is the language of instruction and thesis writing at Makerere University.
- Provide two letters from two academic referees who are familiar with his/her work recommending his/her application. It is important that at least one of the referees should be the applicant’s supervisor.
The Fellowship is fully funded under Erasmus+ program of the European Commission. The financial support from Erasmus+ EU funds for the mobility period is EUR 850,00 per month. In addition, the participant shall receive EUR 820,00 as a contribution for travel. The participant should as a requirement anticipate the cost of roundtrip ticket, visa requirements and a pocket money for the first month in Torino.
The Fellowship is a 10 months and fifteen days doctoral training for PhD fellows which starts in August/September 2018 and terminates in July 2019.
MA students will benefit of a 7-months fellowship from December 2018 to July 2019. The minimum duration of the mobility period is 3 months or 1 academic term or trimester. The total duration of the mobility period shall not exceed 12 months. In any case, the mobility period shall be concluded within 31/07/2019. Successful candidates will work in the Department of Culture, Politics and Society of the University of Turin.
How to apply
Completed application form and accompanying supporting documents must be submitted from Monday 23 April 2018 to Friday 04 May 2018[AreaInt1] to:
Department of Sociology and Anthropology,
Makerere University, P.O BOX 7062 Kampala
For Further Information
In case of any questions regarding the programme or your application, kindly contact the following:
- Dr Eria Olowo Onyango (Programme Coordinator)
[AreaInt1]Period to be updated according real applicatoin period