The Dean School of Languages, Literature and Communication held a meeting this morning (11th February 2014) with a team from Somali International University (SIU) led by the President (Vice-Chancellor), Prof. Yahye Ali Ibrahim and Mr. Ismail Settumba Mugisha (a Ugandan who lectures there). Heads of Department or their representatives in the School of Languages, Literature and Communication (SLLC) attended the meeting. The Head of the Makerere University International Office, Ms Martha Muwanguzi, informed the meeting that SIU will be signing an MoU with Makerere University for collaboration in a number of areas as listed below.
THE DEAL FOR SLLC
SIU would like SLLC to start sending visiting lecturers to Somalia for short periods of time (e.g. 2 weeks) during the June-August recess and possibly December-January. They critically need visiting lecturers in all broad areas of languages and communication to help in teaching the following areas:
- English Language (all levels).
- Writing Skills (writing for general and specific purposes, technical writing, etc).
- Communication skills (in areas).
- Reading and appreciating/analysing texts (from simple/short to technical texts)
Expertise from all the 5 Departments of the School of Languages, Literature and Communication will be required by SIU.
In return, SIU will provide the following:
- A round trip air ticket
- A stipend for the visiting lecturer
- Security for the visiting lecturers
WAY FORWARD FOR SLLC & SIU
- Representatives from the School of Languages, Literature and Communication have agreed, in principle, to support the proposed collaboration because it provides a good opportunity for staff & the School.
- Once SIU and Makerere University sign the MoU, SIU will invite a delegation from Makerere, and one specifically from SLLC, to go and visit SIU to assess the teaching and learning environment there.
- During the visit and after, the School shall work out the modalities of sending lecturers, and when this programme will start.