As the majority of you may be aware, Makerere University remains high on the target list of Al-Qaeda. The University Management has put in place a number of measures to curb terrorism but we remain vulnerable to all forms of attacks. Despite deployment of security personnel at the main entrances (Eastern, Western and Main gates), the University remains so open to all forms of people with ill intentions. At a security sensitization meeting held this morning in the School of Women and Gender Studies Conference Hall, Makerere University Chief Security Officer, Mr Jackson Mucunguzi, said Makerere has 193 illegal access routes and that insecurity is still high on Campus. He noted that in the last one year, Makerere University Police Station recorded 50 cases of stolen laptops. He also informed the meeting that a number of students were conned of tuition fees worth Shs200 million. He highlighted a number of other security challenges at the University including the poor lighting system as well as uncontrolled movements and urged staff and students to always be cautious of any security threat.
The OC/CID, ASP Chelimo Robert, informed the meeting that there are many conmen on Campus and that their major hangouts are Senate Building, Main Building, College of Business and Management Sciences as well as the different roundabouts on Campus. He noted that the conmen are aware of all the operations at the University and usually target prospective students at the time of admissions.
Other officers who addressed the meeting are Kabandize Begirira Apollo, Officer in Charge of Counter Terrorism at Makerere University; Ms Auma Hellen, the Acting DISO Kawempe; Lt Moses Bwanika, Internal Security Officer Makerere and AIP Kato Godian, Officer in Charge of Operations at Makerere. They all emphasized that terrorism is real and cautioned everyone to remain vigilant and always inform police of any security threats.
Mr Mucunguzi informed the meeting that police has increased deployment at the University as one of the measures to curb insecurity. The meeting was attended by among others the Principal, Deans and Heads of Units.Security Meeting MUK DISO
- Have contacts for at least two security personnel that you can reach out to in case of a problem
- Never go to bed without airtime on your phone
- Be careful when travelling in taxis and never board a taxi with less than five people whether men or women
- Do not eat in one place all the time
- Do not use the same route all the time
- Train yourself to read minds of people. Not everyone that enters your office has good intentions
- Respect police checks
- In times of strikes, respect orders from security personnel (riot police) to avoid being hurt
- Don’t threaten your attackers when calling police.
- Never underestimate anyone
- Key police contacts
- Makerere University Chief Security Officer
Name: C/ASP Jackson MucunguziSecurity Meeting OC Operations
Official line (Makerere Police): +256718792486
- Ag DISO, Kawempe
Name: Ms Hellen Auma
- OC/CID Makerere
Name: D/C/ASP Chelimo Robert
Name: Lt Moses Bwanika
- Counter Terror/Makerere
Name: Kabandize Begirira Apollo
- OC Operations/Makerere
Name: C/ASP Kato Godian