The Department of Journalism and Communication, Makerere University will host the Annual Media Convention (AMC) on Thursday, 25th April 2019 in the University Main Hall.
Theme: Communicating Science in the Social Media Age: Sharing Technical Information from Researchers with the Public
Guest of Honour: Hon. Dr. Elioda Tumwesigye, Minister of Science, Technology and Innovation
Focus of the Convention
This year’s Convention focuses on knowledge exchange between journalists and communication professionals with the research institutions that generate the vast science for the public, who are largely the primary beneficiaries of the technical knowledge. It will provide opportunities for participants to share and gather experiences for improving and advancing journalism and communication with a critical focus on the role traditional and social media platforms play in disseminating scientific information in society.
The AMC 2018/2019 is jointly funded by the Centre for Agriculture and Bioscience International (CABI) and the Science for Development Network (SciDev.Net) and is expected attract journalists, communication professionals, scholars and students in the field of journalism and communication as well as participants from science/research institutions, civil society, policy makers and the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation.
Objectives of the AMC 2018/2019
- To discuss how journalists cover science and technology in Uganda
- To identify the challenges in communicating science in Uganda
- To deliberate on the role of communication officers in science communication
- To analyze the role and impact of social media in communicating science and technology
- To chart ways of improving the quality of science journalism and communication in Uganda
- To find ways of inspiring academics and other researchers to involve in science dissemination and to stimulate public involvement in science
NB: The Department of Journalism and Communication has held the AMC since 1998. The annual event is aimed at providing a forum for discussing emerging issues relating to media in Uganda and beyond.
See programme below