CONFERENCE THEME: Africa and Gender Studies: Celebrating 30 Years of Transformation and Re-imagining the Future
CONFERENCE DATES: AUGUST 25-27, 2021
In 2021 Makerere University will be celebrating 30 years of teaching Gender Studies. To celebrate this important milestone, the School of Women and Gender Studies is proposing an international conference to bring together 250 international scholars in the field of Gender Studies. This three-day International Conference on Gender Studies in Africa aims to bring together international expertise from academia, science granting councils, government, industry as well as civil society to deliberate on the space and place of Gender Studies in the academy and in development practice in Africa. This will be a Pan African celebration of Gender Studies and of the continent and the global South as a site of production of Gender knowledge and Feminist scholarship.
CONFERENCE PURPOSE: To enable a conversation on the space and place of Gender Studies in Africa, reviewing the past and reimagining the future.
1. To bring together different Gender units in Africa to share experiences of teaching and researching in Women and Gender Studies in Africa
2. To examine the contribution of Women and Gender Studies to Africa’s development
3. To examine the crises such as war HIV and neoliberalism have shaped the teaching of Gender studies in the academy.
4. To assess the link between Women’s organising/activism in Africa and the subject of Gender studies in the African Academy
5. To reposition Women and Gender Studies in Africa for the future
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS
The International Conference on Gender Studies in Africa executive organising committee invites you to submit papers and panels on the theme: “Africa and Gender Studies: Celebrating 30 Years of Transformation and Repositioning for the Future”.
KEY CONFERENCE THEMES
1. Researching Gender (application and transformation)
2. Gender and Research (Theories and Practice)
3. Gender Studies and Gender Practice
4. Disciplining Gender Studies: Practical Realities from the Academy, Activism and Advocacy, including decolonising the curriculum
5. Theorising Gender from the Global South
6. Gender, Feminist, Women’s Organising for Change (Local and International Partnerships)
7. Gender, Identity, Performance and Representation
8. Gender and the State
9. Gender and Peace building in Africa
10. Gender and the Sustainable Development Goals
11. Gender and Sexuality (Masculinities and Femininities)
12. Women in African economies; how women are making a difference
13. Identity Politics and Gender
14. Young Activism
15. Gender Based Violence within the Academy and Beyond
16. Women writers as the voices of conscience
17. Gender and Technology
18. Gender, Aging and gerontology
19. Family and Parenting in Africa
20. Gender, Climate Change and Natural Resources Extraction
21. Gender and Bioethics
22. Gender and Contemporary Health Challenges
23. Gender and Spirituality
The conference will present distinguished African and Africanist keynote speakers, award-winning films, inspirational performances and the opportunity to join pre-conference workshops and skills building sessions.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION OF ABSTRACTS
15th February 2021 - Submission of Abstracts (Individual)
15th March 2021 - Submission of Abstracts (Panels)
Submit an Abstract to the following link: https://icgsa.mak.ac.ug/articles/invitation-submit-abstracts
Full call attached below