With funding from the Gerda Henkel Foundation of Dusseldorf Germany, the College of Humanities and Social Sciences at Makerere University seeks to admit 10 students for the 2022 intake of the Inter-disciplinary PhD in Historical Humanities and Humanistic Social Sciences. Historical Humanities and Humanistic Social Sciences include, but are not limited to a cluster of subjects (disciplines) that study human society with a particular sensitivity to change over time in shifting historical contexts with various kinds of evidence to support analyses of what informs and shapes the changes and the implications of such changes in human society. Preference will be accorded to projects that approach the study of the Humanities and Social Sciences with a clearly strong historical focus in the following fields:
- The Classics, namely literature, philosophy, epic, and drama,
- Prehistory/Early History of Africa,
- Modern African History
- Language and Linguistics,
- Creative Arts in Africa,
- Religion in Africa,
- Political theory,
Research experience in the Humanities and Social Sciences at a University or a Research Institute and a strong foundation in writing and research methods is desirable. The applicant should have excellent oral and written communication skills. This is a PhD by research: therefore, applicants should demonstrate capacity for independent work. They should also have excellent interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
Eligible candidates should:
- Be Ugandan nationals or nationals of a Sub-Saharan African country. (Attach a biodata page of your passport or National Identity Card to your application).
- Hold Master’s degree in the Humanities and Social Sciences discipline, for which s/he has applied for, from a recognised university. The MA must have been completed less than ten years ago at the time of application.
- Hold an Honours undergraduate degree in the Humanities and Social Sciences from a recognised university related to the specialisation s/he is applying for (for example, if you applying for a PhD is Sociology, you must have offered Sociology at Undergraduate Level).
- Be fluent or show proof of fluency in English Language
- Provide two letters from two academic referees who are familiar with his/her work recommending his/her application. It is important that the referees, who have been named on the applicant’s application form, are the ones who supply a reference letter for the applicant.
- Confirm that s/he will be available from September 2021 to undertake a three-year full-time study leading to the award of a PhD in the fields of Humanities and Social Sciences of Makerere University.
- Provide the address and contact (email and phone number) of next of kin.
- Be under the age of 40 years (male) or 45 years (female) by 30 September 2022. Qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Attach copies of your MA and Undergraduate Transcripts and Certificates that are duly certified either by the awarding institution or the respective national accreditation body.
The programme is fully-funded by the Gerda Henkel Foundation and is tenable at Makerere University. The scholarship will cover all costs of the PhD training, including tuition and other university fees, living expenses, medical insurance, research and travel to take up the fellows as well as conference attendance in the second year of study. The maximum value of the scholarship, commencing in 2022 is approximately USD 11,000 or its UGX equivalent per year. In addition, each fellow will receive a laptop computer and is entitled to a modest research fund and travel allowance for conference attendance.
This is a-three years programme, which begins in September 2022 and ends in June 2025 and structured as follows:
- September 2022 to March 2023: Proposal development
- April 2023 to September 2024: Fieldwork
- October 2024 to September 2025: Dissertation Writing
How to apply
Completed application form (saved in word: as your surname underscore spplication e.g., Smith_Application) with accompanying PDF supporting documents must be submitted by Friday, April 29, 2022 to:
For Further Information
In case of any questions regarding the programme or your application, kindly contact the following: